Racehorses, Kettlewell
Devonshire Hotel, Grassington Last edit: MarkReid Aug 16 2010, 15:27

wigandave
Sep 08 2010, 13:57
When we did the Inn Way we camped for all but one night. As follows
Buckden - Field behind the Buck Inn
Askrigg - Field behind the Crown Inn
Reeth - Campsite just outside village
West Burton - The Grange B&B (We were tired and needed and hot shower!)
Kettlewell - Campsite just outside village
Grassington - Campsite outside village.

MuckyMuckMan
Jan 16 2011, 13:46
Alot of the my preferred accommodation was fully booked so we have settled for these places in May. Will let you know my opinion of them all after the walk:

Black Horse @ Grassington
White Lion @ Cray
Manor House @ Askrigg
Arkleside Hotel @ Reeth
Fox & Hounds @ West Burton
Racehorses Hotel @ Kettlewell

BrashersBoots
Apr 09 2011, 20:44
wigandave:

Hi wigandave,

Can you let me know if the fields behind the Buck Inn and the Crown Inn are owned by the pubs and they let you camp there? Or did you just wild camp?

Looking to do the walk in July this year, really looking forward to it. ;o)

Thanks,
BB.

Deepdale
May 11 2011, 15:54
Are there any places to avoid, bad experiences etc?

prickles
May 12 2011, 12:32
I want to do the Inn Way but want to take my small dog with me and was wondering if anyone had done the walk with a dog and what accommodation they used / camped that allowed dogs. Many thanks for any help that you can give as I'll be doing this alone and therefore want to get it right!

MarkReid
starstar
May 20 2011, 14:58
I always take my dog with me on my walks (German Shorthaired Pointer), and never had a problem finding somewhere to stay. I've stayed at the White Lion at Cray, White Rose at Askrigg, Kings Arms at Reeth, Grange at West Burton and the Racehorses Hotel at Kettlewell. Hope this helps, Mark Reid

ChrisCoghlan
Jul 13 2012, 13:19
BrashersBoots:
wigandave:

Hi wigandave,

Can you let me know if the fields behind the Buck Inn and the Crown Inn are owned by the pubs and they let you camp there? Or did you just wild camp?

Looking to do the walk in July this year, really looking forward to it. ;o)

Thanks,
BB.

I've just completed the walk and tried to camp as much as possible. Here's where we stayed:

Buckden - Heber Farm, who formally offer camping in one of their fields. They have shower facilities on the farm for the use of campers.

Askrigg - as the weather was bad, we ended up in the White Rose Hotel. However, the landlord of the Crown Inn kindly offered the field behind his pub too as we'd eaten there that night. This is essentially wild camping with no facilities provided.

Reeth - Orchard caravan park and campsite. The owner actually gave us accommodation in one of the static homes, which is normally reserved for coast-to-coast walkers, for the same price as camping, which was very welcome!

West Burton - Aysgarth Falls Hotel offer camping, providing shower and toilet facilities in little sheds on the edge of their field. Staying here does add the distance between Aysgarth and West Burton to day four's walk, however.

Kettlewell - we ended up staying in the well established Hawkswick Cote caravan park. This, however, is quite out of the way, again adding distance to day four's walk. It also meant we took a different route on day six, via Kilnsey and Conistone, which is already covered on day one, albeit it in reverse.

As I live in Harrogate, we didn't stay overnight in Grassington at all, meaning I can't comment on this stop. Last edit: ChrisCoghlan Jul 13 2012, 13:24

southernsofty
Sep 16 2012, 09:10
I'm looking to do the walk for charity in June 2012 with approx 10 people in our walking party.
We are hoping to camp for the duration but I wanted to ask if you need to notify these camping places in advance or did you just 'turn up' ?

MarkReid
starstar
Oct 01 2012, 15:42
Hi Southernsofty

10 people is quite a large group for camping (up to 10 tents), and some of the campsites are quite small so booking is definitely advisable.

There are campsites at the following locations:

Buckden - Heber Farm in the middle of the village
Askrigg - no official site, but behind the Crown Inn is a possibility if you ask permission (so I've been told!)
Reeth - campsite just to south of the village by the river
West Burton - no official site, but there is a large campsite in the beer garden of the Aysgarth Falls Hotel which is just a mile short of West Burton along the route.
Kettlewell - no official site (campsite closed earlier this year), but there is a Youth Hostel (as well as pubs and B&Bs)
Grassington - nearest site is at Threshfield, which is the village next to Grassington across the river.

tobybiggar
Dec 09 2012, 12:15
Hi,

New to posting on this site but for what it's worth, we completed this walk in July 2011 and had our dog with us. For this reason, we booked a self catering cottage in West Witton and timed our walks to coincide with buses to take us back and forward to the start/end of each day's walk. It worked for us and although seemed a bit complicated at first, once we got the hang of the buses,(early starts were the norm) it was actually ideal and meant we went back to same place every night. Last edit: tobybiggar Dec 10 2012, 00:39

MarkReid
starstar
Jul 29 2013, 20:32
I've just returned from a weekend at West Burton, where I stayed at the Grange B&B. I've stayed here many times over the last 15 years and it is always a treat. The house and grounds are wonderful, the antiques in every room are fascinating and there is a very relaxed atmosphere, with no stuffy rules. The breakfast was delicious, served in the elegant dining room. One of my favourite B&Bs - and I've stayed in lots! Mark Reid.

Rocky
Nov 05 2013, 10:18
Hi
First post on this forum so hopefully in the right place to post the following.....

Aiming to walk the Inn Way in 2014.....3 elderly (putting it mildly) ,,,,,setting off on 24th May....and aiming to complete in 6 days......

We are hoping to camp......or Youth Hostel.....

We are quite experienced walkers and have under our boots.....Cleveland Way, Offa's Way, Dales Way and the Pennine Way.....buts all were a few years ago.

We are attracted to the beautiful scenery and the pubs that we will enter and the beer we will drink....

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MarkReid
starstar
Nov 06 2013, 00:14
Hi Rocky

Welcome.

There are Youth Hostels at Grinton (near Reeth) and Kettlewell. There is also a bunk barn at the Dales Bike Centre between Grinton and Reeth. Campsites are a bit thin on the ground. There are very basic farm field sites at Buckden and Kettlewell, and a campsite at Reeth. The Aysgarth Falls Hotel has a campsite in their large beer garden. Enjoy!

Rocky
Nov 06 2013, 09:07
Cheers Mark for that

Am finding your book very interesting and it has certainly got me excited about the walk even if it is 7 months away.......
Keep up the good work

geilist3000
Dec 23 2013, 14:09
Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me how much money i will need for the full trip. Or how much is an average b&b or pint in this area.
Prost and thank you...

MarkReid
starstar
Dec 30 2013, 14:26
As a general guide, B&Bs cost around £40-£50 for a single room and around £75 for a double per night, although this depends on where you're staying as prices vary - just look on their websites. A pint costs around £3, although again this varies depending on the pub and what you're drinking. Other costs include lunch, baggage courier (although this is optional) and evening meals etc.

There are Youth Hostels at Grinton (near Reeth) and Kettlewell, and also campsites at Buckden, Reeth, Aysgarth Falls and Kettlewell, which will reduce your accommodation costs.

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis