Walkers' Forum

Walkers' Forum » The Inn Way to the Yorkshire Dales » FANTASTIC WAY TO SPEND A WEEK

Started by taylos1 Jul 28 2010, 15:03
taylos1
Jul 28 2010, 15:03
We did the Yorkshire Dales Inn Way last August, and thoroughly enjoyed it, Thanks to Mark Reid for a great book, and the idea of mixing the Pubs with the walking, two of my favourite pastimes. We averaged 8 pints a day and still felt fit as butchers dogs when we finished. We're of to do the Inn Way in the Peak district on Saturday, really looking forward to it Last edit: taylos1 Jul 28 2010, 15:04

Joanna
Aug 02 2010, 16:21
Thanks for your encouragement Taylos1 ! Have just purchased the same book ourselves and are off to Upper Swaledale in 2 weeks and 1 day's time (and counting....)

Wonder if you can give some advice please as I'm new to this forum and haven't yet found where to post a general query to all? We are planning on walking from Keld to Hawes on the Pennine way over Great Shunner. Despite looking at numerous sites, books and asking advice in walking shops in our area, nobody seems able to point me at a walk description going South in this way. All recorded walks seem to be either the Pennine going North (as you normally would) or for circular walks from Hardraw.

Can you give any advice or tips? Or should we just give in to "popular demand" and just go north like everyone else ?

Tx
Joanna

MarkReid
starstar
Aug 09 2010, 14:37
Hi Joanna

The walk from Thwaite to Hardraw over Great Shunner Fell is easy to follow as it is paved with flagstones for long stretches and is a well-worn path. That said, Great Shunner Fell is often shrouded in mist so should only be tackled with map and compass in hand. The reason why people walk it from Hardraw is that the walk to the summit is better from Wensleydale than from Swaledale. Hope this helps.
Mark

taylos1
Aug 10 2010, 14:04
Hi Joanna, as far as I am concerned you have picked the best place to do your first Inn Way, The yorkshire Dales are magnificent, the villages lovely and the locals friendly. This was where I discovered Black Sheep Riggwelter, my now favourite pint, it's strong but believe me it does the trick, and anyway you soon walk it off. Don't drink too much at the Falcon on the first day, it's a hell of a climb and descent into Buckden after 4 pints.

Steve Last edit: taylos1 Aug 10 2010, 14:30

wigandave
Sep 19 2010, 12:21
Hi Steve, we make that mistake at The Falcon(how can you not though). A quick pint at The Tennents and four at The Falcon, a good chat with Robin the landlord then off to Buckden over the hill in the driving rain! Wouldnt have it any other way though.

MuckyMuckMan
Jan 16 2011, 13:34
Just booked the accommodation for the Inn Way in May. It can't come soon enough. As you, really looking forward to walking and ale tasting.

wigandave
Jan 21 2011, 00:11
You will enjoy it. Dont fall into The Falcon trap and remember that every morning starts with an uphill. Its great!!!

Geoff
Apr 22 2011, 18:52
Just finished Inn Way with family, wife and two teenage daughters. Best week ever. Fantastic weather great accommodation and the best pubs. Took the warning about the four pints but it's still a climb out of Litton. Hardly saw anyone on the fells but the locals are so friendly and helpful. Great book Mark, thanks. I'm moving to the Dales!

brontebantam
Jun 10 2011, 13:10
Just a note to people on the Burton to Kettlewell leg. The instructions mention following a hardcore track up over a moor then where it ends continuing up the hill, it seems the farmer has continued the track and unfortunately took us a while to realise this.

BrashersBoots
Apr 14 2012, 19:21
Will be setting out for Grassington on Saturday 21st April, 2012.

Start the walk on Sunday 22nd... Can't wait. Just hope the snow has cleared!! :O)

BrashersBoots
May 01 2012, 22:05
brontebantam, that could be where I lost my way... After the railway carriage and a couple of gates, I ended up walking too far and missed the grouse butts and fork in the track.

I made a big mistake of carrying on the track thinking it must go somewhere, but it just petered out. My second mistake was walking over the moor. I obviously made it to the Kettlewell road, but it was a bit hairy at times as it was rather boggy... !! I missed out Horsehouse altogether.

MarkReid
starstar
May 03 2012, 10:03
BrasherBoots

I hope your detour across the Fleensop Moor didn't detract from the walk. Last July (2011) the landowner created a new stony track across the moors between Walden and Horsehouse that initially follows the bridleway but then goes off in completely the wrong direction. It is easy to keep following this if you're not careful. When I found out about this change I contacted the National Park Ranger, who then installed a signpost at the point where the new track bends away from the line of the bridleway, and I then went and put up a small 'Inn Way' notice on this signpost pointing in the right direction. I also put a thread up on this Forum about this change (Fleensop Moor) and a note in the 'Trail News' section of this website. Also, for every Mail Order book sold through my website, I put a note in about this change.

You will always find things that have changed on a walk when comparing a guidebook or map with the landscape as books and maps are printed at a particular point in time. Stiles change to gates, footpaths sometimes get realigned, shops close etc. It is always essential to carry Ordnance Survey maps with you on any walks that you do as you can only navigate with a map, as a guidebook is intended just as a guide and won't help you if you make a mistake.

I'll head up the track next time I'm in Walden to make sure the note is still attached to the signpost.

Apart from that, I hope you enjoyed the walk.

Mark

BrashersBoots
May 03 2012, 19:55
Thanks Mark.

"I also put a thread up on this Forum about this change (Fleensop Moor)"

That'd be the thing that I printed off and packed it away somewhere in my rucksack!! :-S

"It is always essential to carry Ordnance Survey maps with you on any walks that you do as you can only navigate with a map, as a guidebook is intended just as a guide and won't help you if you make a mistake"

That'd be the OS map that I bought and also left in my rucksack!!!

Think I need one of your navigation courses... I'm my own worst enemy at times :-(

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and even this experience. Your book is fantastic for the history it gives for each town, dale, crag or moor you walk through. Last edit: BrashersBoots May 03 2012, 19:57

MountainPansies
May 31 2012, 07:25
Thank you Mark for a great walking week.
The sign on Fleensop Moor was still in place on May 5th.
Mobile phone reception in Reeth Orange only.
Clippers occasionally missing; taken as trophies we were told. Landlady at Kings Head Gunnerside has had a rubber stamp made!
Palmers Flatt / Aysgarth Falls Hotel just reopened on 4th. No Inn Way sign or clipper. Looks an uninteresting stopping place.The George & Dragon was an excellent stop over with good ale.
Queens Arms Litton was closed April 30th. Advised that local farmer had bought it and it would reopen after refurb.
Most quirky Pub Victoria Arms one not to miss!

MarkReid
starstar
May 31 2012, 09:35
MountainPansies.

Thanks for your post - you've saved me a trek up onto Fleensop Moor to see if my sign is still there - thank you!

Some of those clippers disappeared many years ago. Some of the signs need an overhaul and re-painting, which we'll probably do this autumn, when I will look to get some more clippers. I've also got a new sign for the Aysgarth Falls Hotel (Palmer Flatt).

Queens Arms at Litton will reopen this weekend (June 2nd 2012).

Glad you enjoyed the walk!

Mark

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis