Walkers' Forum

Walkers' Forum » The Inn Way to the Yorkshire Dales » What's the best way of getting all 26 pubs in?

Started by MuckyMuckMan May 20 2011, 08:38
MuckyMuckMan
May 20 2011, 08:38
We are doing the Inn Way next week and wondered what the best way of checking off all 26 pubs was? I'm asking this because the Grinton pub is only about a mile from Reeth so it would be almost impossible to go to this pub if we set off from Reeth at about 9.30am as we'd be well past the pub before it opened.
Does anyone have a daily time schedule that best fits in all 26 pubs? Last edit: MuckyMuckMan May 20 2011, 08:39

MarkReid
starstar
May 20 2011, 15:09
Hi MuckyMuckMan

Thanks for your post

You don't have to visit all 26 pubs to get your free certificate - just visit as many as you like! Also, at the moment two pubs are closed (Buck at Buckden and Palmer Flatt Hotel). However, if you want to visit the 24 pubs that are open (plus the White Rose Hotel at Askrigg which is an additional pub) then I would suggest the following:

STAGE 1 - Do the three pubs at Grassington at the end of your walk. You'll hit the pubs at Kilnsey and Arncliffe at opening time, then you have to be quick to get to Litton before 3pm. i would suggest calling them to check opening times and let them know you're on your way.

Stage 2 & Stage 3 - no problems. I would walk out of Reeth down to Grinton in the evening at the end of Stage 3 to go to the Bridge Inn. This pub is great and serves good food and a good selection of local ales.

Stage 4 - no problem, although Palmer Flatt is closed.

Stage 5 - you will get to Horsehouse after just over 2 hours walking from West Burton. There's a shop at West Burton to stock up on snack food etc. I would give the pub a ring before setting off to check opening and food service times.

Stage 6 - You'll hit Hebden at lunchtime (although it's quite a walk to get there) and then get to Linton mid afternoon. Again, best to phone to check opening times for the Fountain Inn (Pub No. 26).

Hope this helps, and enjoy your walk.

My favourite pubs? Falcon at Arncliffe, White Lion at Cray, Kings Arms at Askrigg, Kings Head at Gunnerside, Bridge Inn at Grinton, Wheatsheaf at Carperby, Fox & Hounds at West Burton, Thwaite Arms at Horsehouse and the Kings Head at Kettlewell. In fact, they're all good!

MuckyMuckMan
May 20 2011, 17:45
Thanks for that Mark. I'm glad we're staying at the White Lion in Cray now you told me The Buck Inn is closed.

MuckyMuckMan
Jun 06 2011, 18:20
Well, I completed the Yorkshire Dales Inn Way last Friday with all 'open' pubs visited, 24 in total. 1st day was particularly tough as we were staying in The White Lion at Cray so we had Tennants Arms, Falcon Inn and Queen's Arms to get in before the end of the day.

MarkReid
starstar
Jun 06 2011, 21:26
Good news - the Buck Hotel at Buckden will (hopefully) re-open in mid July, and the Palmer Flatt Hotel at Aysgarth Falls has recently been sold and should re-open soon.

Deepdale
Jun 07 2011, 18:32
Good info Mark, but if the Buck At Buckden reopens as planned, what do you suggest for hitting the favoured White Lion at Cray?

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis