Walkers' Forum

Walkers' Forum » The Inn Way to the Yorkshire Dales » Racehorses Inn Kettlewell

Started by mandm Jun 21 2011, 16:49
mandm
Jun 21 2011, 16:49
Arranging our trip for September and have been reading mixed reviews about this place, particularly poor service and unfriendly staff. As we were thinking of staying here - has anyone got recent experiences?

MarkReid
starstar
Jun 21 2011, 21:31
I use the Racehorses Hotel regularly for my navigation courses and corporate 'Team Walking' events. I have always found the food, beer (Timothy Taylor's) and accommodation to be of a good standard, and the staff helpful and friendly. The food portions are also generous. In summary - a good walkers inn. In fact, all three pubs in Kettlewell are good - as Kettlewell is the last Overnight Stop along The Inn Way, then you really should check out all three pubs. Last edit: MarkReid Jun 21 2011, 21:36

Dayo1963
Jun 23 2011, 07:52
I walked the Inn Way to the Yorkshire Dales last May and stayed in Kettlewell on the last night.
I've also stayed in Kettlewell several times over the last 3 years whilst out walking including two Navigation Courses with Mark which were based in the village.
I've used all 3 pubs regularly during this time and I've already been twice this year already, so I'm up to date....
The fortunes of village Pubs do tend to fluctuate due to varying reasons but this is how I see it.....
The Kings Head is the quietest pub at the moment as the locals and some good pub atmosphere have been lost to the Blue Bell. However, the beer at the Kings is excellent...flag floors and a traditional Dales pub.The food is good and well worth a try.
The Blue Bell where I've eaten 4 times already this year serve excellent food with really large portions !
The Copper Dragon Ales are all on form and I find that it's a friendly place for all.
The Racehorses has more of a small Hotel feel but, in my opinion, it has the best pint in the village in the Tim Taylor Landlord but it is also the dearest at £3.30p a pint.
I have to say that it is not the friendliest of places at first but when the Landlord sees that you are spending money he notices and the smiles appear with laughter following quickly....nothing new here then as this is the way of the world, is it not ?
I've not stayed at any of the pubs but from what I hear they are all ok room wise but try the Pennycroft B and B close by....very friendly and handy for everything.
I've had some great nights in Kettlewell mixing with visiting walkers and locals alike and as Mark says, try all of the pubs, you'll not be disappointed.
Good Luck
Dave

mandm
Jun 24 2011, 12:46
Thanks for the information.
Have booked to stay at Blue Bell (being a Copper Dragon owned pub swayed the decision) but will include Racehorses for the beer!

MuckyMuckMan
Jul 18 2011, 16:56
We did the Inn Way in May/June and stayed at the Racehorses. The service was great and we ended up stopping up till the early hours drinking with the landlord. The only downside stopping here is there was no shower, just a shower head in a bath, so we had to take a shower sat down in the bath, which I hate. Other than that though it was good.

Dayo1963
May 11 2013, 06:44
I visited the Racehorses twice this week and very quiet on both occasions.
The Ale was good and the Menu looked inviting ......although I ate in the Blue Bell !

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis