Walkers' Forum

Walkers' Forum » The Inn Way to the Yorkshire Dales » 3 Days in the Yorkshire Dales

Started by Angelita Jul 24 2011, 04:07
Angelita
Jul 24 2011, 04:07
Hello,
I'm an American coming up to the Yorkshire Dales from London for 3-4 days in April.Can you recommend a village we can reach by train to use as a base for day hikes? I was thinking Skipton, but am open to suggestions. Thanks.

markymarkh
Aug 06 2011, 18:17
Hi Angelita Im Mark from Newcastle in North East England. I think Skipton would be a fine base for you but would recommend you also consider some villages on the Settle to Carlisle train route which is probably the most scenic railway in the country. Horton-in-Ribblesdale is a great village to climb one or more of the Three Peaks right in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales. Hope this is of some help! Best wishes. Mark Humble

Angelita
Aug 10 2011, 21:56
Thanks for the information Mark. I'll give the railway a look. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. My sincere wishes that life in Britain returns to normal soon.
Angelita

MarkReid
starstar
Aug 11 2011, 09:30
Hi Angelita,

Skipton is the closest railway station to the Yorkshire Dales. I would get either a bus or taxi from Skipton station to either Malham or Grassington. Both are great centres for walking.

If you go to Malham, then the Lister Arms is a great pub. The walks are also superb around there, with Malham Cove, Gordale Scar, Janet's Foss, Weets Top and Nappa Cross all close by. An easy walk is to walk down the valley to Kirkby Malham, where there is also a good pub.

If staying at Grassington, then good walks include the riverside to Burnsall, Grass Wood, Conistone Dib, Lea Green, Yarnbury and Hebden Gill. My favourite pub at Grassington is the Devonshire, whilst nearby is the Clarendon at Hebden, Fountaine at Linton and the Red Lion at Burnsall. Hope this helps, Mark Reid. Last edit: MarkReid Aug 11 2011, 09:30

markymarkh
Feb 19 2012, 22:20
Hi Angelita! Hope your trip is still on course for April! Mark.

tombooth75
Nov 04 2016, 14:53
Hi all
I am planning a three day walk with a mate in early December - and would ideally do a circular walk staying at pubs on the two nights. If not 'circular' then at least a walk that connects to public transport on each end (to and from London). Is there a route that this group could recommend?
Much appreciated,
Tom

MarkReid
starstar
Dec 07 2016, 16:46
Best 3 days in the Yorkshire Dales are: Askrigg to Reeth; Reeth to West Burton and then West Burton back to Askrigg.

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis