Walkers' Forum

Started by Johnn Aug 10 2010, 15:59
Johnn
Aug 10 2010, 15:59
We have just got back from the really enjoyable Peak District Walk. We took Mark's advice and travelled by train, so no car to worry about. We started at Hathersage to avoid the long first day. By compromising on personal hygiene, we managed to cut down drastically on the amount of clothing carried.We thought the paths and scenery rivalled the Dales Walk, wich is saying something I agree that some of the accommodation is below "standard". By far the best was The Plough at Leadmills, followed by "Swiss House" in Castleton. There was a beer festival in Castleton which we very much enjoyed. Best pint: Thornbridge Jaipur - excellent. Best food - "The Bull's Head" in Castleton.
The route was very well thought - out, and the instructions were spot - on. The only quibble would be about the descent in down the muddy bank from Sheldon. (Why not go slightly east of here and take in Ashford?)The descent from Win Hill isn't bundle of laughs either, but to alter this would add to an already long, but fabulous, walk.

taylos1
Aug 16 2010, 11:45
I agree with your comment ref Swiss House, but for me the best accomodation was the Farmyard Inn, Youlegrave, a first class establishment. Best Food for us was the Italian Restaurant in Baslow, across the raod from the Devonshire. Best Days walking was from Youlegrave to Tideswell.
Curious, did you do the Hayfield to Hathersage stage or did you miss it out all together? It was quite a tough day, even without our 4 mile detour.

Johnn
Aug 17 2010, 21:15
We started and finished at Hathersage meaning the long first day came last for us. Plus we were "walk fit" by then. Still a big day though - early start essential.
I know Il Lupo in Baslow. Excellent value.

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis