Walkers' Forum

Started by MarkReid Sep 19 2011, 20:54
MarkReid
starstar
Sep 19 2011, 20:54
I am now working on a 2nd Edition of this book, which will be published either late this year or early spring 2012.

Cheers, Mark Reid

MarkReid
starstar
Mar 20 2012, 12:09
RE-WALKED STAGES 2 and 3
Hathersage - Baslow - Youlgrave
March 2012

The Second Edition is coming along nicely... with a proposed publishing date of late April 2012 (subject to the usual disclaimers about printing delays, final proofing problems etc!)

I recently re-walked Stages 2 and 3 (Hathersage to Baslow then on to Youlgrave) and can report no problems whatsoever with the route. There are a couple of minor changes as you would expect after 5 years (stiles changing to gates etc), and the only notable change is the bridleway through Smeltingmill Wood now follows the track all the way down to join Chesterfield Lane, instead of detouring around Toll Bar Cottage, but this is all very clear on the ground.

I called into the Grouse Inn at Froggatt Edge, Wheatsheaf at Baslow, Red Lion at Birchover and the George Hotel at Youlgrave. The Fox House Inn and the Grouse and Claret were being refurbished as I walked past - good to see investment in some pubs, rather than them closing down all the time.

I'm planning to re-walk Stages 4 and 5 this week (Youlgrave to Castleton), and then aim to walk Stages 6 and 1 in early April. It's easy to break the walk down into three 2-day walks like this, using public transport to get back to the starting point (ideal for weekends away), especially Stages 1 & 6 as it's a short bus journey from Hathersage back to Castleton. I'd love to re-walk it in one go, but oother work commitments mean that I can only spare 2 days at a time.

I'll keep you posted about any changes on the other stages as and when I walk them. Last edit: MarkReid Mar 20 2012, 12:15

MarkReid
starstar
Mar 23 2012, 12:45
RE-WALKED STAGES 4 and 5
Youlgrave - Tideswell - Castleton
March 2012

Just returned from re-walking Stages 4 and 5 this week, with two beautifully sunny days in the Peak District. There are no major changes to report, indeed, almost no changes on both days.

The only thing to note is that Headstone Tunnel (Monsal Head) and Cressbrook Tunnel along the Monsal Trail have both re-opened. The best way to Litton Mill is still to follow the permissive path through Water-cum-Jolly Dale as you don't see any views from inside a dark tunnel!

I have also decided to re-route the walk slightly through the upper reaches of Cressbrook Dale, between Litton and Wardlow Mires by using the permissive path (across Open Access Land) that follows the top of the steep valley sides, as this path gives far better views than the valley bottom and you will have just spent the previous day walking along the valley bottoms from Youlgrave to Tideswell.

I called into the following pubs: Cock and Pullet, Sheldon (brilliant pub), Monsal Head, Horse & jockey and Star Inn at Tideswell (all good), Bull's Head at Foolow (lovely old pub) and the two pubs at Hope, both of whuch have improved significantly since the first edition came out.

All in all, two magnificent day's walking, with Lathkill Dale still up there as one of my favourite walks that I've ever done - supremely beautiful on a sunny day.

Cheers, Mark

MarkReid
starstar
Aug 16 2012, 23:13
It's all done (hurrah!)... the book has been printed and is going to the binders on Monday (20th August 2012), which means I should get the books back on the 28th August... it's looking good!

It's been five years since I walked the whole route of The Inn Way to the Peak District and, even if I do say so myself (!), the walk is so varied and interesting, with some fantastic pubs. I would love to walk it again, especially in spring, as the White Peak limestone valleys are supremely beautiful, particularly Lathkill Dale, Monsal Dale and Cressbrook Dale. But, above all, the most beautiful section of path in the Peak District? The walk along the top of Froggatt Edge.

I hope you enjoy walking the route. I've made a few tweaks and re-routed (ever so slightly) a short section of path around the rim of Cressbrook Dale, rather than along the valley floor, as this provides much better views. Sadly, two pubs out of the 51 pubs along the route have closed - Bulls Head at Hayfield and Ye Derwent Hotel at Bamford. These do not affect the route in any way as there are other pubs in these villages, but it's always sad to see some country pubs close.

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis