Walkers' Forum

Started by Howie May 22 2012, 11:48
Howie
May 22 2012, 11:48
Me and my wife completed the walk last Wednesday. We both thought the Way was superb but didn't realise how vast the North Yorkshire Moors where. It was a harder walk than we both expected but would definatley recomend it.

MarkReid
starstar
May 31 2012, 09:37
Hi Howie

Thanks for your post - and I'm delighted you enjoyed the walk. The Moors are beautiful, aren't they? My favourite walk is the day from Levisham to Egton Bridge - supremely beautiful with a variety of terrain, wonderful views and the best pub in England (Birch Hall Inn).

Cheers

Mark

Howie
Jun 06 2012, 12:15
Our favourate day was Hutton le Hole to Lockton. We had to stay at Far Field Farm B & B as all the accomadation was full or it was a minimum of 2 nights.
The B & B was fantastic and was only a 5 minute walk to the Fox & Hounds Inn.
I thought your guide book was very well written and we didn't get lost once.
Thinking of doing the Lake District Way next year.

ianandneicy
Jun 07 2012, 09:15
hello howie my wife and i are doing the yorks moors inn way in a few weeks after previously doing and enjoying the yorks.dales and peak district walks. can you give us any news on the plough inn at fadmoor and the sun inn (spout house) at bilsdale i.e. are they still shut as reported in a previous post? allso any other up to date tips would be handy. realy looking forward to the walk if its as good as our two previous 'inn ways'

Howie
Jun 07 2012, 12:51
Hi Ian,
The first day you will pass the Plough Inn at Wombleton which is very nice. The pub at Fadmoor is closed but the next village of Gillamoor has the Royal Oak. I would recomend the day from Rosedale Abbey to Hawnby that you take plenty of food and drink as there are no places to stop. The Sun Inn at Spout House is closed and would have been a welcome break after the long slog over three moorland tops.
We also noticed in the guide book that the estimated time given to walk the daily stages was pretty much spot on but i was walking with a GPs and every day was longer than advised in the book.(ie the first day to Hutton-le- Hole was 17.8 miles).
I would also make sure you have both ordenance survey maps as 2 or 3 times over the moors the paths are very unclear.
Hope you both enjoyed it as much as we did.
If you need any more advice let me know.

Howie

ianandneicy
Jun 08 2012, 08:11
many thanks for your reply howie bit as i thought about the rosedale to hawnby leg as you confirmed the spout house being shut we will stock up with food and drinks in rosedale.allways carry a map so hopefully shouldnt have too many problems!!what was your oppinion on the hare inn at scawton?does it have a few decent real ales on? if not we may do a slight detour(i know its not strictly following the route,but why not!)to the hambleton inn instead.anyway thankyou once again carnt wait(hope the weather picks up a bit!!)

Howie
Jun 08 2012, 12:03
Hi,
It's a very nice Inn. We had pack up done by the Inn at Hawnby so we only had a drink there. The menu looked very nice though. They stop serving food at 2pm but if you leave Hawnby by 9.30ish you won't have a problem.

regards

Howie

MarkReid
starstar
Jun 08 2012, 13:18
Hi Howie and Ianandneicy

Thank you for your posts.

In answer to the points you raise:

The following pubs are closed:

STAGE ONE
Crown at Helmsley (up for lease)
Plough at Fadmoor (up for sale)

These closure don't really affect the route as there are other pubs at Helmsley, and the Plough at Fadmoor was always shut when I walked past anyway (late afternoon), and the next village has a pub (Gillamoor).

STAGE FOUR
Moon and Sixpence and Mitre at Glaisdale both closed several years ago, and were slightly off route anyway. There is another pub at Glaisdale which is open and you pass along the walk (good for a morning coffee)

STAGE FOUR / FIVE
Milburn Arms at Rosedale Abbey (up for lease)
Sun Inn at Bilsdale (closed)

There are two other pubs at Rosedale Abbey, so it isn't a problem that the Milburn Arms has closed (although it is a great shame). The White Horse Farm at Rosedale Abbey is open and is a good choice for food and accommodation.
The Sun Inn is one of England's historic pubs and a great loss to the culture and heritage of this country. It never did offer food (apart from bags of crisps), but was a welcome break to rest weary legs and have a drink. The Feversham Arms at Church Houses is open, and makes a great (although slightly early) lunch stop on Stage Five. As you say, it is a good idea to take plenty of water and food with you along this stage of the walk.

All 26 other pubs are open.

With regards to the other points raised:

Always carry OS maps on any long distance walk, just in case you go off route or you want to make a detour etc. This walk crosses some remote moorland, which may be difficult in poor weather or mist.

The Hare Inn at Scawton is a fantastic pub, with a great reputation for food.

With regards to actual distance walked each day, the distances quoted in the book are 'map miles' estimated from OS maps. The distance is measured from leaving and entering the Overnight Stops, and so there will be some variation in distance depending on where you are staying, probably up to a mile for each stage of the walk. Also, every person who walks this route will walk a different distance, as people make detours, call into pubs, make navigational errors etc. Stage One of this walk is 14 'map miles'. There will always be a small degree of inaccurancy when transferring information from a 2-D plan to the 3-D real world that is 25,000 times bigger, and with lots more hills! GPS devices are also not completely accurate, as they often overestimate or underestimate distance, and are generally only accurate to within 10 yards, as they are always trying to triangulate your position. For example, try walking for 100 yards whilst looking at your GPS and then abruptly stop at 100 yards - your GPS will continue counting for another couple of yards. How many times do you stop over the course of a 14 mile walk to cross stiles, open gates, look at your map etc? This will lead to an overestimation of the distance. On the other hand, sometimes GPS units lose signal and miss out part of the route.

So in answer to the question 'how many miles is this walk in reality'? The answer is: it all depends....

Interestingly, the Coast to Coast walk is officially 190 miles, but according to the Wainwright Society, people who have completed this route claim it to be anywhere from 183 and 230 miles! That's a 47 mile difference from people actually walking the route, although the person who claimed it to be 230 miles measured it using a pedometer, which are notoriously inaccurate!

I hope you enjoy your walk, and the weather is kind to you. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Mark Reid

ianandneicy
Jun 09 2012, 13:34
many thanks once again howie and mark for your info.on the walk.we will call at the hare in then, just hope they have a few good beers on (foods not too much of an issue as like yourselvs we will probably get a packed lunch from the inn at hawnby) as i mentioned in a previous post mark enjoyed your dales and peak walks so if this ones as good(which i'm sure it is) we will have a good weeks walking.we will let you know how we got on. cheers

ianandneicy
Jul 01 2012, 12:15
well just got back from the walk and have to agree with howie definatly a lot harder than expected especialy carrying a full rucksack.some rather steepish climbs.have to report there is no footbridge over the river just passed st. gregorys minster on stage one but you can use a footbridge at gr67758555 and then pick the path up to the right of the church.our favorite day was stage 5 rosedale to hawnby over the moors, hard but rewarding. just like to mention a couple of the digs we stopped in, the 'horseshoe' at levisham very good food and hospitality and friendly landlord(even dried my wife's boots and trousers by the stove overnight) and 'sevenford house' at rosedale, beautiful house and grounds and friendly hospitable hosts.allthough all the accommodation we stayed in were fine.will mention pubs in the favourites section. we will definately use a packhorse service next time!! cheers

johnworne
Mar 09 2017, 06:06
hello
i'm new user.According to me he Inn Way to the North York Moors takes the reader on an 89-mile circular tour of the North York Moors via 31 of its finest inns. From heather-clad ridges of the central moors to lush valleys and picture-postcard villages, this book is a must for anyone who enjoys the Great Outdoors. This is a long distance circular walk, divided into six 'day stages' ranging from 13 to 16 miles. There are 31 pubs along 'The Inn Way'. Each 'day stage' is designed to include a pub at lunchtime and the overnight stops offer a choice of pubs and facilities.

regards
john worne Last edit: MarkReid Mar 21 2017, 23:19

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis