Walkers' Forum

Started by hikerman Jan 13 2014, 17:09
hikerman
Jan 13 2014, 17:09
planning to do the walk later this year- anyone have a route in gps, gpx or tracklogs format or know where I can get one?

MarkReid
starstar
Feb 11 2014, 18:15
Hi Hikerman.

Sorry, but I don't know of any GPS logs for this walk. The book does, however, include key Grid References which you could input into your GPS to give a general view of the key waypoints along the route.

ramblingcynic
Jun 17 2014, 21:10
The Long Distance Walkers Association have gpx, memory map and tracklogs files for the full route on their website. You do need to be a member to download them though.

MarkReid
starstar
Jun 18 2014, 21:41
This is why I am no longer reprinting my books, and have decided not to produce any new Inn Way routes. It's hard to make a living when what you produce is taken and then given away for free on the internet.

ramblingcynic
Jun 19 2014, 21:49
Sorry, Mark, wasn't trying to cause trouble.

Personally, I see GPS files as a supplement to my guidebooks, not a replacement for them (it's quite sad to think how many interesting things I would have missed without reading the guidebooks to the walks I've done and I always seem to learn something new about where I'm walking as well). It's a real shame we all lose out with the books ending up out of print because not everyone seems to see that.

MarkReid
starstar
Jun 20 2014, 17:04
Thanks for your reply. Sadly, it's just reality that things are changing rapidly with regards to the digital world. There are many factors at play - few high street bookshops left, online book discount book retailers, internet full of free walks etc etc. I had a good 17 years writing walking books, and it has certainly paved the way (so to speak!) for me to now run my outdoors business. Several years ago i used to see lots of people out walking carrying a guidebook; now I see lots of people carrying an A4 piece of paper they've printed from the internet, usually lost as the route descriptions are often poor - which is where my navigation courses come in!

I may transfer The Inn Way routes to a digital format sometime in the future, once my stocks of printed books have sold out - get them while you can! Last edit: MarkReid Jun 20 2014, 17:07

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis