Walkers' Forum

Started by MarkReid Sep 17 2010, 15:29
MarkReid
starstar
Sep 17 2010, 15:29
Here are some places I've stayed during my travels to the Lake District.

Ambleside - Kent House
Rosthwaite - Royal Oak Hote (very good!)
Braithwaite - Royal Oak Pub (good food and accommodation)
Buttermere - campsite (basic but great views and close to the pubs)
Boot - Campsite
Broughton in Furness - Manor Arms (great beer pub)
Coniston - Crown Inn (good quality rooms)

MarkReid
starstar
May 03 2013, 10:59
Youth Hostels.
Sometimes, getting 1 night accommodation in summer in the Lake District is a little tricky. There are lots of Youth Hostels along the route, which offer great value accommodation.

There are Youth Hostels at Ambleside, Grasmere, Longthwaite (near Rosthwaite, Borrowdale), Buttermere, Boot (Eskdale), Coniston and Elterwater.

DutchWalkers
Sep 08 2013, 12:10
Hi,

we walked the Inn Way Walk to the Lake District this summer, and here's what we thought of some of our accommadations:

Brathay Lodge, Ambleside
Nice accommodation.

Langstrath Country Inn, Rosthwaite/Stonethwaite
The price was quite high in relation to the size of the room.
Good drying room and excellent food.

Coledale Inn, Braithwaite
Spacious room and good food.

Dale Garth Guest House, Buttermere
Friendly staff, bit far outside of village but makes up for it with large breakfast.

Brook House Inn, Boot
Great location and very large ensuite room.

Black Cock Inn, Broughton-in-Furness
Very quiet but a nice atmosphere in the pub. Lovely and quaint room.

Yewdale Hotel, Coniston
Friendly and helpful staff. Large ensuite room. Good food.

desbo
Apr 08 2014, 19:29
Hi, we are a couple who are planning to do this walk sometime soon in 2014, I would roughly estimate the accommodation for 7 nights to be around the £500 mark, however looking at Brigantes website they charge £595 per person just to book your accommodation and baggage transfer, baggage transfer only would cost £280, so that would mean they are charging over £400 just to pick up the phone and book your accomm !! WOW! I am quite capable of booking our own accomm but does anyone else do baggage transfers ? also is there a GPS route that can be downloaded from anywhere? looking forward to the walk though and Thanks

desbo

MarkReid
starstar
Apr 09 2014, 20:33
HI Desbo

Thanks for your post

As far as I know, there are some other baggage couriers. Just check online and see which ones cover the Coast to Coast or Cumbria Way, and then give them a ring to see if they'll cover The Inn Way. With regards to GPS, I don't know of any GPS logs for this walk. The book does, however, include key Grid References which you could input into your GPS to give a general view of the key waypoints along the route. Rather than GPS, have you thought about a navigation skills course. I run map, compass and navigation skills courses, including the new Mountain Training 'Mountain Skills' weekend courses in the Lake District. Just have a look at www.teamwalking.co.uk

Lenny
Aug 22 2014, 11:06
I'm doing this walk in 4 weeks time just booked my accomadition and other than 2 nights i've manage to book YHA in all costing me less than £250 for 8 nights B&B with packed lunchs,

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis