Walkers' Forum

Walkers' Forum » The Inn Way to the English Lake District » Is the Lake District the toughest?

Started by thewickingman Oct 10 2010, 18:34
thewickingman
Oct 10 2010, 18:34
We've done the Yorkshire Dales InnWay (moderately easy)and the Peak District IW (tougher than expected) and are considering the Lake District IW in 2011. Any views as to where the LD sits in degrees of difficulty?

MarkReid
starstar
Nov 19 2010, 12:51
Thank you for walking the Dales and Peak 'Inn Way' routes, and I'm delighted to read that you are considering walking the Lakes route.

With regards to the Lake District, it's hard to say whether it is a difficult walk or not as it all depends on a person's level of fitness, amount of gear they are carrying, time of year, weather conditions etc etc. I have recently re-walked the route during autumn this year and found it to be an extremely enjoyable walk with some great pubs along the way - it brought loads of memories flooding back from when I first researched this book in 1997/8 and I'd forgotten just how beautiful some of the hidden corners of Lakeland really are, particularly the Western Lakes.

The length of the days are generally slightly shorter than the other 'Inn Way' routes as I wanted to compensate for the fact that there are some sections that head across mountainous terrain. On the whole, the route heads up and down through valleys and over well-trodden mountain passes with two 'summits' along the route - High Spy on Stage Two and Swirl How on Stage Seven, although there is an alternative low-level route that avoids this mountain summit on the last day.

It is a beautiful walk through some amazing landscapes with lots of great pubs along the way.

Hope this helps

Mark Reid

The Inn Way - By Mark Reid Carbon Footprint
Walking with Elvis